Friday, August 30, 2013

That time of the....year


It's almost as if someone had posed the vegetables on their kitchen counter.  Red and yellow tomatoes, onions, zucchini, cucumbers...hmmmmm.    I've mentioned my proclivity for playing in the dirt.  I truly enjoy when that play yields results.  There is nothing like the taste of a tomato fresh from the vine.  In fact, I recall my sister and I used to see who could get to the ripest tomatoes first--not to take into the house--to eat, like an apple!  The majority of our yellow cherry tomatoes NEVER make it into the house!  But that's okay!  Right now, a huge kettle of tomatoes is simmering on the stove.  I'm about to fry some bacon for my first BLT of the year..  (Being in Africa has cut into the BLT eating frenzy, so it's time to catch up!)  We're looking for the neighbor's recipe for cucumbers gone wild--you know--the ones you could use to fend off wild beasts they've gotten so large?!  He has this recipe that makes them taste just like the red apple rings we used to eat!  I'll report back!  Next winter when we're eating chili, I'll remember the 90 degree day we picked the tomatoes for the chili (and proudly swear because it's so Grand Coulee cold!).  Hopefully, your play has yielded wonderful results, your life is full of amazing tastes and smells, and you know you are loved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment