Tuesday, January 7, 2014

it's all about...

So.  I'm in the middle of cleaning up after a fudge making extravaganza (okay, it was just four pans, but if I can't hyperbolize, what do I have left?), faithfully listening to SVU (it was noise, it was on, and I could drift in and out as necessary) when I heard the statement, "It's all about balance."  It struck a chord with me.  That's life, isn't it?  Mr. Albee had it right, life is "a delicate balance".  Literary allusion not work for you?  How about a biblical one?  Ecclesiastes--for everything there is a time and a purpose.  Or of course, there's the old saw, "all work and no play".  The point is this.  Any time we get so uni-purposed that A) we can't see anything else or B) we won't see anything else, we destroy that balance.  Any time we totally focus on ourselves, omitting those around us, we destroy that balance.  Any time we totally focus on others and forget about taking care of ourselves, we destroy that balance.  Any time we truly hold to the tenets we have chosen to support and don't see another side, we destroy that balance.  Granted, there are certain credos to which I am unwaveringly attached:  attitude is everything:  everyone deserves respect:  chocolate comes from a plant, therefore it must be healthy.  But in all things, balance is preferable to reeling carelessly and with no purpose!  Moderation.  Acceptance.  Forgiveness (both for self and others!).  Balance.  Now, if I could only find my checkbook!  And by the way, the flavors were chocolate, Andes Mint, pineapple, and orange.  Now THAT'S balance!  And I will never teeter-totter on this...you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment