Thursday, January 2, 2014

What's for supper?

It was always the first question in the door after school.  You see, I live to eat, and it really didn't matter what the answer was.  I was just curious.  Of course, there was that one time when it was Chunky Beef Soup out of a can and I expressed my displeasure by running away from home.  I believe I was 20!  But that's a different story entirely.  The point is this.  It doesn't really matter what's for supper.  What matters is there is supper and we sit down to it together, as a family.  It was at the supper table that we discussed what had happened in school, or more importantly, how I had embarrassed my sister that day!  It was a time for reflection and a time to bond.  In short, it was truly the glue that held us together.  I don't see enough of that these days.  Fast food and conflicting schedules combine to decrease the time families sit at the table, and the result, at least to me, is pretty apparent.  The family unit as I knew it is truly a thing of the past.  With it, the sense of family ethic, or for that matter, family at all.  Okay, I realize I am old...fashioned...but rarely do I see anything that works as well as building cohesion as sharing a meal, at a prescribed time, in a prescribed place (like home)!  All it takes is a little planning, a little group consensus, and of course, a darn fine cook like Ms. Loosewheel!  Truthfully, maybe even a pizza or Chester's Chicken, but eaten sitting down at a table, with the phones off, the television off, the computers off, and some conversation on!  Amazing how easy it is to suggest how to raise children when you have none.  But I've had over 14000, so take it for what it's worth.  It's my philosophy and I'm sticking to it.  By the way, tonight's answer was left-overs.  And that's okay, because Ms. Loosewheel wasn't the only good cook I know!  Something to think about whilst you ruminate on the fact that you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment