Monday, March 31, 2014

Sound and Fury

Went to the symphony in Sioux Falls yesterday.  Bus trip.  Mostly geezers like us.  The music, as always, was awesome.  The second part was Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream, an interactive presentation with the Augustana drama department and an amazing chorus.  It SHOULD have been an absolutely enthralling experience.  It was, instead, as the title suggests, sound and fury.  The sound system at Washington Pavilion was once again incredibly bad!  I could barely distinguish the language much less the nuances necessary for enjoyment.  The acting, although at times way over the top, even for this comedy, was consistent and for several, amazingly well done.  (I'm sure I should play Puck in another life!)  Now, if I had only been able to understand what they were saying!  Such a shame in a place touted for its acoustics. It truly reminded me that we listen with our ears and our eyes.  The visual was fun.  The music was fun.  And while I wouldn't say I'm furious about the sound, I ain't happy!  So it is.  A little Monday morning rant to start the week.  "Ah, what fools these mortals be."  I hear that!  And you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment