Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Today it was my privilege

It surprises the bejeebers out of me.  How can it possibly work?  Letting every person have a say in how our country is run.  It's insanity!  And yet, it has worked (more or less) for over 225 years!  Today, we exercised our right to select the people who will represent us.  Orderly.  With pencils instead of weapons.  In a safe and hopefully inviting environment.  And as I wait to see how my choices faired, I understand that even if I'm 100% wrong (according to the vote of those around me), I have done what millions of people do not have the ability to do.  I have made a difference!  Oh, not because of the results.  But because of my action.  I have demonstrated the acceptance of my responsibility as a citizen.  I have made my choices.  I have had my say.  Now, we'll wait and see.  With anticipation.  With hope.  And with no small amount of pride.  Not for me, but for a country who once again proves a representative democracy still works! And if you happen to hear Kate Smith singing in the background, good for you!  God Bless America!  And god bless you!  You are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment