Friday, May 9, 2014

Phriday Phood--man does not live by bread alone...

Here's the skivvy today!  I have discovered a task that is much more onerous than I remembered, and I remembered disliking it immensely.  It starts with the garage.  The old garage.  The peeling, rotten paint garage.  In a pique, I decided to put the snow blower away and plug in the lawn mower so I could use it next week.  While there, I decided I may as well straighten the garage.  In my perambulations, I come across a paint scraping device.  Hmmm, says I.  Perhaps it is an omen?  So I takes this little device with me outside and give it a test scrape.  It works.  CRAP!  I really do love to paint.  I hate the prep work.  And I DETEST scraping.  But the dilapidated look of a peeling garage really diminishes the look of the property, so I have decided it is time to clean up my act.  I start scraping.  And swearing.  And swearing louder!  Being somewhat sane (okay, I realize that may be a stretch) I decide that it makes sense to do a little at a time so I don't go off the deep end.  One section (a very small one) is done.  I am now washing clothes, and let me tell you, the task is much more appealing than it was before I started scraping.  Go figure.  Anyhoo, that's my Friday story and I'm sticking to it.  I do think, however, that it might be a good night to make bread.  And here's the fun thing.  You too can make the best bread you've ever had (okay, but it is really, really, good...and so easy.  Put it together with a steaming bowl of soup, and life is amazing (see, I told you you can't live on bread alone!)  Enjoy and know you are loved!

Skillet Bread
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp. dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 5/8 cup (1 1/2 cups Plus 2 Tbs) warm (110-120 degree) water
Stir flour, yeast, and salt together.  Add water and mix well.  Cover with oiled waxed paper and a towel.  Let rise 12 – 14 hours.  “Plop” onto a floured board.  Incorporate a little flour and knead lightly until dough is easy to handle.  Place into a greased bowl.  Let rise 3 more hours.  Place heavy skillet with cover in oven.  Preheat to 400 degrees.  When hot, remove skillet, uncover and spray with cooking spray.  Gently roll dough into hot skillet and cover.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove cover.  Bake another 30 minutes.  Cool bread on rack.  Loaf is crusty, porous, and grained like peasant bread.  GREAT with soups and especially good toasted with lots of butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment