Thursday, May 7, 2015

AT&T 1, Neo Luddites, 0

Neo-Luddism or New Luddism is a philosophy opposing many forms of modern technology. The word Luddite is generally used as a derogatory term applied to people showing technophobia,  The name is based on the historical legacy of the British Luddites, who were active between 1811 and 1816.

Or so says Wikipedia.  While not usually averse to new technology (having taught computer for X number of years), I have always been a hold-out in one particular area.  Nothing bothers me as much technically as seeing smart phones growing from people's hands (although we probably could have anticipated it with the advent of the "palm" pilot!)  Therefore, in a show of absolute defiance, I have steadfastly held on to my flip phone.  That is, when I could find it!  Well, the earth moved, the planets aligned, and I succumbed.   I am the somewhat apologetic owner of my very own smart phone.  Of course, I hate it.  So far, I have been able to make a call, accept a call, and most importantly, get my AT&T bill on my phone (thanks to James, the AT&T tech who sold me the phone and who thought it would be nice!)  But isn't that what a phone is for?  I haven't set up a voice mail box.  I haven't downloaded more than one app.  (The temperature is 67, the humidity is 75%, and it's cloudy.)  And other than a cursory "hi" to my bride at the store to see if it worked, I haven't sent a text.  I know how to plug it in.  I know how to turn it on.  And at least right at this moment, I know where it is.  That's enough!  Know you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment