Friday, November 6, 2015

Veterans' Day--a little early

It is my honor to go to Sioux Falls tomorrow and speak to 400 returning guardsmen.  I will give them the usual responsibilities--laugh when they can, learn from everything they do, love with abandon, and leave a legacy.  I think the last one may be the gutsiest.  These people have given a significant part of their lives to insuring I can do the things I do.  Their efforts have guaranteed my opportunity to speak, to play, to worship as I will.  And yet, I will tell them, it isn't enough.  You see, I believe that leaving a legacy is not a one time event, but a daily ritual.  How did I change the world today?  Why is the world a better place because I was here?  Whom did I help?  I will tell them that if they can't answer these questions, they have not met that last responsibility.  I admire them.  They are my heroes.  But there is still work they can do, and hopefully, hearing that message will reach at least one of them.  Then tomorrow night, I will sleep better!  Rest well, if you should!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment