Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The flag is lit.

It's a grand old flag.  I love to display it.  There's something about its emblematic quality that speaks to me.  I'm sure it has to do with my upbringing.  W.A. was a veteran of WW II.  He taught me to stand as the flag passed by.  If for no other reason than to honor those who traded their lives for my freedoms.  To this day, I remove my hat, place my hand over my heart and remember.  Then, there was Don Norlin.  He was my elementary music teacher.  He taught us to stand rigidly at attention when the national anthem was presented with all our focus given to the flag.  Not a chorus of that majestic song has been performed that my heart hasn't stirred.  And of course, there are the hymns of national pride.  God Bless America.  This Land is Your Land.  America.  They call us together.  So it seems only natural to have the stars and stripes displayed for all to see.  As you drive by, do me a favor?  Think of W.A. and all the men and women that make that drive possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment