Friday, September 25, 2015

A frightening thought

A late September trek across the state of South Dakota gives one plenty of time for reflection, not to mention dozing!  Amazing how one can go from totally alert to totally unconscious in such a short span of time.  I almost missed the burros on the side of the road!  But surprisingly I digress.  I have grown to appreciate the trees of South Dakota, knowing that most of them are there by dint of human planning and toil.  They offer a much needed break from the endless prairie.  And of course, they are deciduously preparing for dormancy.  The colors range from drab to striking.  Now, the reflection part.  As life has often been likened to the changing seasons, I hope that now, in the early autumn of my years, my approach to winter will be as splendiferous as the brightest colors of leaves.  In preparation for my "Oh god, he's going to be hell in the home" winter season, with luck I can elicit a smile or two, a sudden intake of breath on behalf the of the casual observer, and provide a break from the mundane prairies of acceptable behavior!  Look out, world!

1 comment:

  1. I love the line about 'he's going to be hell in the home'. Having worked in several nursing homes, I suspect you will be the life of the party.

    ReplyDelete