Saturday, October 4, 2014

Think long...respond slowly

There are few things that upset me more than when someone finds a button to push, pushes it, and instead of taking time to think, to reflect, I rapidly respond.  I probably should be used to regretting this type of action, as I am apparently a slow learner in this regard.  As I have aged, I think I have become better at least trying to implement this titular stratagem, but sometimes, the tongue (or fingers) rush to right a point of view.  This particular button stemmed from praying on a bad situation to advance a personal point of view.  Wham.  Bam.  Here's what I think of that.  Understand, I do not regret my reaction.  I regret the rapidity of the response.  I might have been far more eloquent and logical in my rebuttal had I thought slowly.  I might have given reason to consider.  Instead, I probably alienated, and changed absolutely nothing.  As I do my motivational shtick, I ask if anyone in the audience is a time traveler.  Some say yes (I do speak to some interesting groups!), but the point is, going backward just ain't gonna happen.  So I will do what I tell them.  I will attempt to correct my behavior and learn from it.  And here's to being a speedier learner.  Enjoy the wonderful things you have, and know you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment