Sunday, January 12, 2014

Attitude of gratitude

I am thoroughly convinced that attitude IS everything.  I'd better be!  It was posted on my board every day I taught the last five years.  It was my mantra while my mother-in-law battled with cancer.  It is topmost in my mind when I am doing a presentation.  Rarely does a speech end where it hasn't been an admonition.  If you have been involved with the FISH philosophy, you will recognize it as one of the four guidelines of success as a professional and as a person.  Not only is it a personal responsibility, it is a team guideline.  And let's face it, nothing is quite as contagious as attitude!  Hang with Debby Downer for a while and you will see what I mean!
Here's the hard thing to accept.  Attitude is a choice.  Accept the obvious.  Life isn't fair.  When it hits the fan, it's not evenly divided.  (And that "it" may be missing a couple letters!). Sometimes you're the pigeon and sometimes you're the statue!  No matter what pithy saw you buy into, life sometimes sucks!  But we don't have to.  Miss Loosewheel used to tell me that pity city was someplace we all visit at times.  There's no reason to move in!  Bright woman!  Sometimes, however, we all need a reminder.  So here's yours.  Felling sad?  Feeling blue?  Feeling alone?  My guarantee!  It will get better, and if it doesn't seem to, regardless of anything else, know always that you are loved!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Bill. I've fouond it's best to look for the silver lining even during the darkest moments. Plus, life has taught me the reason the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence is becasue it's fertilized with bullshit.

    ReplyDelete