Thursday, January 9, 2014

wind and hills

In this man's mind, running with the wind, downhill, is, you'll excuse the expression, a breeze!  I almost don't hate doing it.  Almost.  So why is it, then, that I feel so much more virtuous when I finish running uphill into the wind?  The answer of course, lies in the old statement, "of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"  Insanity.  Or maybe, it's because I have met the obstacle and it was cleared?  I guess if everything were downhill with the wind at my back, I'd never realize how sweet the easy stuff is?!  John Maxwell, in his book Failing Forward says we can view those obstacles as stumbling blocks or stepping stones.  I realize in this case, I choose to put the blocks there.  Anyone in their right mind would find a level surface on a calm day.  BORING!  Give me some variety, some extremes, something to remind me that life is a challenge at times, but always worth the effort!  And the physiological gurus tell me that if I do the running thing, I will have longer to find that variety.  I have decided when I die it will be doing something I love.  I will NEVER die running!  May your blocks give you the strength to endure and your stepping stones the realization the effort was worth it!  Know you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment