Monday, November 17, 2014

To Dream the Impossible Dream

Hear me now Oh thou bleak and unbearable world,
Thou art base and debauched as can be;
And a knight with his banners all bravely unfurled
Now hurls down his gauntlet to thee!
For some reason, every now and again, the score to Man of La Mancha swirls through my head.  It's been darn close to 50 years since we sang it in choir, and yet, I can hear the melodious air, I can image the tilting at windmills, and I am transported to a Broadway stage that I shall never see to be Don Quixote!  You see, in a totally unprepossessing way, I believe every teacher is Don Quixote.  Our destiny called, and the wild winds of fortune took us onward to something akin to glory.  To make the difference in a mind, an attitude a life.  Granted, at times the outlook was bleak (remember in-service?).  But never unbearable.  For there was always the challenge...always the reward.  As I told my kids, life ain't fair!  But I followed that up with the fact that I personally hoped I never got what I probably deserved!  I seem to be rambling.  Probably not one of those nights where my prose with move someone to rhapsodic criticism.  Sometimes, you just gotta share.  So tonight, I shall dream the impossible dream, fight the unbeatable foe, and reach the unreachable stars.  Or, I will dream I've gone to school naked.  Either way I will go where the brave dare not go!  Find your windmill, kiss your Dulcinea, and know you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment