Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Two wolves

We're on our way home from Brookings today when we come upon a car with a back window that seems fogged over.  Since the humidity was high and the temps were coolish, I wasn't that surprised.  It was only when we were right behind it that I saw it was actually one of those new window coverings like you see on public transit--the kind that shows a picture on the outside but can seem perfectly transparent from the inside.  The picture was an absolutely gorgeous depiction of two wolves. And it immediately reminded me of a bulletin board I had used so many years ago.  Thankfully, I saved the saying, (which, in true teacher fashion I'm sure I stole from somewhere else!) and it went like this:

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between 2 wolves.

 One is Evil. It is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

 The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility,
kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and
faith."

 The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his
grandfather, "Which wolf wins?" The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Who knew a car could make me philosophical?  Since I believe people learn more from what we do than what we say, we need to be aware that we are feeding the good wolf!  

I'm sure glad Cath had that appointment!  Reminded me that you might be hungry!?  Allow me to toss you a morsel...you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment