Sunday, July 14, 2013

to Minneapolis again

I am constantly amazed.  Every speech I give takes on a life of its own.  Granted, I steal from this one and that one, but each seems to find some way to challenge me--to keep the nerves active.  Tuesday, I get to preach to the choir.  I get to talk to educators--but in this case--retired educators.  It is my opinion that old teachers don't die...quietly!  We do not go gentle.  Instead, we find ways to continue doing that which we have done for so long before.  We do not rust out, we wear out, and that will be the gist of what I have to say!  The title of the speech is Pay It Backward, which I thought was quite clever and unique until I checked it out on Google.  Not so clever.  Not so unique.  So it behooves me to find the new and different in the tried and true.  Sounds like teaching to me!  I do truly believe that all teachers spend their careers paying it forward...teaching students to become adults of purpose and substance.  Christa McAuliffe was right--we touch the future.  And now that we're done teaching, it is my premise that we are not done touching!  We need now to give back in a way that continues our legacy.  And that will be the gyst of what I have to say.  Hmmm.  That's two gist's.  Guess there will be at least two PowerPoint slides, huh?  I'm only hoping the title slide which refers to them as old farts doesn't offend!  After all, we old coots need a sense of humor as well, right?  I'll let you know how it goes, and in my own way backward...know you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment