Sunday, September 15, 2013

all is right with my world

Immediately the self-fulfilling prophesy will come true.  The excrement will hit the rapidly rotating blades of the cooling device.  Following that title, it's inevitable.  I'm going to take that chance.  Allow me to elucidate.  I am in that post bike, pre hot-tub position, comfortably exhausted from the chance to exercise and anticipating the calming sprays of the jets.  The temperature--just at 60--is cool enough to make both events pleasurable.  Bike rides exist in my world for two purposes.  First, obviously, the exercise.  I wish to stave off dementia as long as possible (or, for those of you who know me, try to keep it from advancing a little longer!)  Second, it allows me time to think.  As I was taking the curves of the bike trail a little faster than I should (you gotta love the adrenalin of not knowing whether you'll walk home or ride!) I replayed last night in my mind.  You remember--last night was my 45th class reunion.  And to be quite truthful, I was nervous.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  To cover my bases, it must be reported that I did take fudge!  In retrospect, the night was amazing.  I got to see and talk to a great number of the people that had an impact on my formative years.  My first real crush was there.  My next three crushes were there.  The people I admired were there.  But there wasn't really a time to sit and talk to any of them.  Three to five minutes isn't enough to tell them their import on and in my life.  But it was good.  And I am GLAD that I went!  The trip home was wet but uneventful.  Today, there was church, a birthday party for our great niece, some prep work for a dinner party for which we are responsible on Tuesday, some comestibles, and the bike ride.  Back to the bike.  As I turned off the bike path onto the road home, the sun (you know, that amazingly bright, amazingly orange ball) was right on the horizon in front of me.  In the east, the waxing gibbous moon (look it up--I had to!) was taking its rightful place.  The sun met the horizon and the sky turned a brilliant orange.  The shape-shifting clouds quickly became an opaque gray on top with wispy orange tentacles reaching toward the earth.  It was glorious.  And the thought occurred to me:  at this very point in time, my world had achieved a synchronous orbit!  Everything was where it should be.  Everyone was where they should be.  My mind and my heart were both full of the knowledge that right then I was the luckiest person in the world.  Friends.  A wife who is willing to put up with me.  A family that loves each other.  AND my own personal sunset.  There's nothing left to do but wait!  And tell you...you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment