Thursday, October 10, 2013

65?

An open letter to Mrs. Flaherty
I've always celebrated milestones:  my first driver's license; my first real date (with an older womn, no less!); turning 21 (okay, I have to admit I don't remember the celebration, but I'm sure I celebrated!); our 25th wedding anniversary at Kvikne's Hotel in Norway; our 40th wedding anniversary the day before we left for Africa.  My life is seemingly measured in celebratory episodes.  Funny, but today isn't a celebration for me.  Today my sis turns 65.  Let me make this clear; today my OLDER sister turns 65!  What with recent health issues, a brother who has added stress to her life, and 22134 years of teaching, this is simply an AMAZING feat!  So, I raise my glass to you, sis!  Today is your milestone!  Of course, you wouldn't be the person you are today if it weren't for me...and our parental units, and you husbands, and your children, and our relatives, and your friends, and the students whose lives you have so positively touched through the years.  You are an amalgam of all of us, and have managed to glean the best of all of us and turn it into the unique person you are. Today, like all days, I want you to know how much we admire you and love you.  Happy birthday, you old fart!

No comments:

Post a Comment