Sunday, October 20, 2013

Incongruities

When I was young(er), the benchmark of social eminence was driving a Cadillac.  The size alone made sure you had control of the road at your fingertips.  And then, there was the legendary ride.  Smoooooth!  As I chronologically advanced (remember, I am forbidden to use the terms "grew up" or "matured"), the caddy became passé, a true indicator of age.  Only rich old farts drove caddy's.  We young, hip, with-it types fell in love with the muscle cars.  Who could possibly choose a caddy over a 1967 Mustang?  Get real.  So, I'm driving down the road the other day, pull along side of this pearl white vehicle in my current muscle car (a 1995 Neon--one-owner with 47000 actual miles) and say out loud to no passengers in the auto, "Nice car!"  Yup, it was a caddy!  I have missed the jump from muscle to comfort!
You could well be asking yourself, what's incongruous with that.  The answer is nothing.  I just thought it was an interesting sidelight!  The incongruity lies in my morning run.  Well, to be truthful, at the end of the run.  As I was on my cool down lap, I noticed a young man standing behind his Cadillac, carefully removing something that was apparently marring the look of his automobile.  As I got further along, I noticed he had been applying duct tape to the trunk to hold it down!  And he was smoothing it out so it had no wrinkles.  Duct tape.  On a Cadillac?  It's just not right.  But apparently effective.  May all your cars fit your needs, and may each of you be blessed with your own roll of duct tape!  You are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment