Monday, October 21, 2013

The thing they're made of

20 boy scouts, grades 6 through 12.  8 adult supervisors. The kitchen at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church.  One old coot teaching them how to make chili and Irish soda bread! It was a hoot!  Understand, the venue was not conducive to demonstrating.  About 8 boys could see what was going on.  The rest were respectfully discussing the issues of how to cook, while tuning in to what was being said on occasion.  As they say, the proof was in the pudding, or in this case, the chili and bread.  My greatest compliment?  A young man who had just finished the tasting came back into the kitchen and said, “Your chili?  In one word…legendary.” He melted my heart!  He was about 12!  I had forgotten the adrenaline rush of just one student saying he enjoyed what I had done.  While there may be world problems, it might snow tonight, and the dogs are barking because I’m in the basement and they are on the main floor, as I close my eyes tonight I will not see the mess that needs cleaning.  I will not see the young man who spilled black bean sauce on himself while he was carrying out a basket of materials to take home.  I will simply drift off to sleep being legendary.  And that, as they say, is worth every bit of work that went into the process.  Needless to say, I don’t know his name, but he is loved!  And so are you!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool. What a great word to use...legendary.

    ReplyDelete