Friday, November 29, 2013

Spelled out in lights

Tonight was the annual lighted Christmas parade.  It's a fun event that seems to light up more than just the floats!  This year, I had the honor to act as Grand Marshall!  It was a hoot.  I climbed out the passenger side window of the vehicle they provided, sat on the window ledge and did the wave thing.  Several young spectators called me Santa.  I think it had something to do with the white beard and the Santa hat!  It was a recognition that I truly don't deserve but appreciate.  Along the route were an amazing number of familiar faces, all wishing me Merry Christmas.  I reciprocated.  It was on the way to the nursing home that a young man broke out of the crowd, came over and gave me a huge hug.  He was a former student with whom I keep in contact on Facebook.  The gesture took me so by surprise, I almost forgot to wish him a happy holiday.  In one simple contact, he reminded me why I so thoroughly enjoyed my 34 years in the school system!  It was one of those moments that transcends the crappy pay, the long hours, and the political crap that comes with the job.  The thank you in that hug spoke more than any possible reward, and will be my greatest Christmas treasure this year.  He lit my parade, and for this, I am once again humbled.  Life is good, and you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment