Friday, November 1, 2013

What if?

For no apparent reason, I started playing the “If” game today.  If I had one wish, for what would I wish?  If I won a million dollars and had to spend it, how would I spend it?  If I could have any job in the world, what would that job be?  If I could have dinner with anyone, living or not (presumably while they were living, else the question becomes extremely bizarre!) whom would it be?  If I could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?  If I could play an instrument (I don’t play), what would it be?  If I had to write a personal mission statement, what would it be?  If I were to die today, what would I want people to say?  It wasn’t until the last if.  I started imagining the answers.  “Gosh, I’ll really miss the fudge!”  “Hope he kept his pants on for the funeral!”  “Does anyone know the words to ‘Running Bear?’”  “Guess he’s written his last blog.”  And wouldn't this make my day...“He was a good man with a good heart.”  Everyday, we write the book of answers to that question.  The way we treat our family is a chapter.  The way we treat our friends is a chapter.  The way we treat the people we don’t know is a chapter.  The way we treat ourselves is a chapter.  And the book becomes large, and in some instances, not necessarily happy ending.  I understand how others judge is not up to me.  I understand there are people I have helped and people I have hurt.  I understand that John Donne was right:  no man is an island.  We all have impact!  Didn’t realize such a simple question could cause such philosophizing, did you?  Well, let me challenge and accept the challenge.  Before you read any farther, formulate your answer.  Really!  Quit looking at me that way! Got it?  Well, here’s my answer.  It’s probably not very deep. It’s probably not very moving.  But when I’m gone, I would love to have people say, “I miss him!”  And finish with, “He loved me!”

1 comment: