Wednesday, November 27, 2013

What better way to say thanks?

It is my humble opinion that there are several ways to say thank you.  Some do it with flowers.  Some do it with cards.  Some do it with a handshake, a hug, or a kiss.  Me?  I do it in the kitchen.Taking the time to prepare a meal for the people you love has always worked as a way to say Thank You!  To my relatives, thank you for not disinheriting me.  To my friends, thank you for putting up with my idiosyncrasies.  To my wife, thank you for not killing me when you see the mess I have made in both kitchens!  For me, nothing is more heartfelt than fresh home-built buns to use for that left-over turkey sandwich.  Pecan pie and carrot cake say so much more than a simple card.  And I can't begin to tell you how much better mashed potatoes, dressing, and gravy are than a hand shake.  Granted, nothing is going to top the hug and kiss, but a really good cranberry salad comes close!  We are born with certain talents.  We learn to develop others.  I was born with the drive and desire to cook, and have had fun learning how to hone in on that desire.  I still have flops. I still screw things up.  I have had to throw turkeys away because they were spoiled.  I have had lumpy mashed potatoes and dry dressing.  I never know what the pecan pie will do, but the carrot cake?  It's a sure thing!  Put cream cheese frosting on anything and it works!  I guess what I'm saying is this.  If cooking is your thing, say thanks to someone today.  If eating is more your thing, say thanks to the powers that be that some of your friends love to cook!  And maybe take them a nice bottle of wine on occasion!  It's a thought.  And if I could, I would be feeding each and everyone of you right now to say thanks for reading, and know you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment