Wednesday, April 2, 2014

WW III The battle for...

I speak not to war as we know it.  In fact, war is not even in the abbreviation.  I speak instead of our Wireless World.  I sit with my I-pad, and if I want to print what's on my screen, I send it to our wireless printer.  Currently, I sit at our desk-top computer, entering data on our wireless keyboard and manipulating our wireless mouse as needed.  If I want to call someone, I pick up my cell phone.  (Trust me, I NEVER want to text someone, but I could if I had to.!)  We wirelessly play bridge in the morning with people from all over the world.  When I want to go somewhere, I remotely start the car and raise the garage door.  I even paid the government my fair share of taxes with a wireless transfer from my bank.  Convenience, in all instances.  And yet, I fear convenience is trumping communication skill.  Freedom from contact is decreasing contact skills.  And yet we continue to find ways to transmit concepts without face time, without sharing, and without touch.  The possibility of poorly designed online classes scares the bejeezus out of me.  I understand their worth and their benefit, but unless they are integrated with classroom interaction and human presentation, they provide ONLY information.  Life is not about what I know.  It is about how I use it and how I can make the world a better place for those around me.  Doing so without personal interaction for me is far too sterile and atmosphere.  And we all know that sterility precludes growth.  Yes, we can get more information to a wider range of people.  Yes, we continue to go where no man has gone before.  And yes, there is a place for all of these wireless activities.  We must fight for the integration of them and personalization.  We must battle for the ability to write cogent sentences, to see the beauty in another person, and to know the joy of a simple touch.  So let it be written.  So let it be done.  In that vein, imagine if you will a 64 year old graying non-texter, embracing you in person and telling you that you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment